Dr. Richard Owens
Foot and Ankle Specialist
Dr. Richard Owens
Dr. Owens is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon specializing in foot and ankle surgery. He graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and served eight years as an officer in the US Air Force. He then attended medical school and orthopedic surgical residency at the University of Cincinnati. He received subspecialty training in foot and ankle under Dr. Steven Conti in Pittsburgh, PA.
Dr. Owens and his family fell in love with the Rogue Valley during a job search and relocated from the Midwest. He was recruited by Southern Oregon Orthopedics in 2010 to fill a pressing need for high quality foot and ankle care. His professional interests include sports injuries, total ankle joint replacement, deformity correction and lower extremity trauma.
"I was interested in small town life, the outdoor activities, and the opportunity to practice big city medicine without the drawbacks of city life. Southern Oregon orthopedics, with its sub-specialty focus, offers that opportunity."
In addition to his clinical practice, dr. Owens enjoys running, golf, wine-tasting, and family life. He is active in his church, and enjoys twice yearly medical mission trips to Honduras as well as a yearly shoe ministry at Medford Gospel Mission.
- University of Cincinnati
- Curriculum Committee, Student Representative (2000-2002):
- American Medical Association, VP for Public Service
- Physiology Tutor and Small Group Leader (2001-2002)
- New Student Orientation Committee, Orientation to 3rd Year Committee
- US Air Force
- Volunteer: Wright State’s Wright STEPP program for underprivileged kids, Habitat for Humanity, and Junior Achievement
- Lieutenants Professional Development Program (1994)
- Command Golf team (1994 – 2000)
- Virginia Tech
- Kappa Delta Rho Fraternity: Vice President, Social/Athletic Chairman
- Intramural sports referee: football, basketball, soccer
Honors / Awards
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- US Air Force
- Divisional Company Grade Officer of the Quarter (1995, 1999)
- Air Force Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster
- Air Force ROTC
- Top General Military Corps Cadet, 1987-88
- Field Training: Top 10% Physical Fitness Award
- 4-Year Air Force ROTC Scholarship, Virginia Tech
- Summer Research Internship: “Automated Imaging for Pancreatic Islet Cell Transplantation”; Preceptor: Horacio Rilo, MD
- “Factor V Leiden Screening Before Starting Oral Contraceptives”; Cost-effective medicince competition, Univeristy of Cincinnati College of Medicine 2003
- “Humeral Shaft Fracture Nonunion with Dynamic Compression Plating Versus Locked Plating”; presented at Mid America Orthopaedic Association, Apr 2007
- “Low Incidence of Postoperative Complications Due to Pin Placement in Computer-Navigated Total Knee Arthroplasty.”; Journal of Arthroplasty (online), Oct 2009
- “Salter-Harris Type III Fractures of the Distal Femur: Plain Radiographs can be Deceptive.”, Accepted for publication, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Mar 2010
- “Injection of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) for Chronic Midsubstance Achilles Tendinosis”, presented at the Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Society, Apr 2010
New Synthetic Cartilage Implant for Arthritis
View authentic patient reviews from rater8.